Thursday, August 25, 2011

“I Can’t Be Bothered”: Rejecting Agitation, Frustration, and Other Peace Robbers


Allow me to set the scenario. Ladies will best understand this one.

Just imagine with me for a minute. You have just gotten out the shower and are drying your hair from a fresh wash. You feel refreshed; your hair is happy because it’s no longer dirty. You take your time to prep your hair to sit under the dryer—you already know how fly it’s going to look when you’re done! As soon as you set up your hood dryer, position yourself under it, and turn it on, the breaker in your house trips and all the power goes out. You’ve got somewhere to be and you thought that your apartment complex had previously rectified the faulty breaker situation. What do you do? How do you feel? What is your response to this fiasco?

True story. I went through a month full of these eventful occurrences with my power, and the first week I was overwhelmed with agitation. It wasn’t fair that my apartment was the only one affected by this problem. Maintenance knew about it, the power company was made aware, but still this issue plagued me. This month of “fluke” power outages tested me beyond my limit of peace until I realized something mid-month. This was something that I had no control over. I had reported the issue to every proper authority in the field. I, myself, am not an electrician so I couldn’t remedy the problem. So, what did I do? I wrapped up my hair, grabbed my laptop, and marched to the front office!

However, what I did next surprised me. When I got there I wanted to “go off” for the zillionth time; but for what? Instead, I simply asked if I could use the office power source to finish a project that needed to be completed. I chose that day to not be bothered by issues that were out of my control. I trusted that God saw, He heard my prayers regarding the problem, and that I had done everything in my power to bring about solution to the issue. I decided that day that frustration would not steal my joy because it was not supplied by it.

When we come to the realization that Christ came that we should have life, and life more abundantly (John 10:10), that all things work together for our good (Romans 8:28), and that Christ’s peace was left with us to utilize and enjoy (John 14:27), it’s easier to let stuff go. I have come to the conclusion that nothing—and I mean nothing or no one—will steal the peace that I have worked 26 years to receive and accept. I let things go with quickness if they even bring the “implication” of agitation. God does not desire us to be stressed, annoyed, disturbed, or angry so I reject those emotions. When they arise I speak aloud my new favorite phrase, “I can’t be bothered” and keeps it moving!

There’s so much more to life than being aggravated with things we can’t change. Pray about it, believe that you have what you say, do your part, and then LET IT GO! What will happen, will happen. In the meantime go enjoy the abundant life that God has promised us. Adopt my saying and love, laugh, and LIVE!

Peace be with you!

Nikki D


No comments:

Post a Comment