Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Gawking Platform

Greetings Good People!

Today I decided to share one of my pieces (poems) with you. Hopefully, this work brings encouragement/inspiration to someone.

The Gawking Platform

It’s really not about what I feel--- I’m learning.
But it becomes quite difficult to not indulge in the things that can brighten up any pity party with a sing-songy-toe-tap.
It’s difficult to HAVE TO care;
While wishing that for two seconds you had a moment when it was okay to think only of yourself and your immediate needs.
But, I’m learning that it’s not about me at all;
Let alone, how I feel about certain situations and circumstances.
I have been placed here on assignment;
And for this reason, I cannot be derailed from the mission established within me from the beginning of time.
My situations are not my situations,
And my circumstances are not for me either.
Thus, I understand that I must bare them
For my fellow brothers and sisters who are watching.
Watching to see if I flinch, watching to see if I waiver, even a minuscule moment, in my faith;
All the while, hoping that I am both victor and failure.
Victor, because then I become the motivating example in their life’s situations.
A failure because then they too would have to face the music; tackling problems in order to emerge victorious!
But, these tests are in no way fun!
Many days I long to step down from the pedestal that my onlookers have for whatever reason placed me on;
Step down and tuck my tail in defeat;
Crawl back to that familiar place of comfort;
Indulge in the emotions of those who doubted and cheered for me.
But, then I remember the reason why I was first placed on the pedestal.
Something great was noticed in me;
The fight and determination of a champ,
An over-comer,
A conqueror.
Thus, yet another day I stand on the platform;
Head held high,
Helper inside,
Understanding that my feelings are the least of what matters.
For I must persevere for those watching;
Those both rooting for success and failure.
It is this fight on the platform that will shape my character,
And bring about others to question their own.
(March 2010)


Stay on the platform; this is the fight of your life! This choice is the difference between mediocrity and greatness!

Nikki D

No comments:

Post a Comment